Make your move less hectic with our Moving Checklist!
At least 1-month prior to move:
• Arrange repairs for new/old home
• Get estimates on movers
• Pricing on packing materials
• Mortgage Info
• Home Warranty Info
• Shipping appliances or purchasing new ones
• Temporary housing
• Homeowners insurance
• Storage Options
• Clean out closets, attic, basement, cupboards, garage, etc. Also outdoor items.
• Consider having a household sale or donating unwanted items
• Make an inventory of items to be moved.
• Write "Subject to further inspection for concealed loss or damage" on your moving contract to protect yourself.
• *Pack "Open first" boxes that contain important items that need to be unpacked first
• Call newspapers to transfer or subscribe to your new home. Cancel any subscriptions that you do not wish to have forwarded to the new home
• Make arrangements to pick up important documents from:
• Birth records
• Contact new schools and notify them of your move to their area.
• Notify Security Company, lawn care or snow removal services of your moving date.
• Start a new bank account in your new town
At least 2 weeks prior to move:
Coordinate arrangements for the following items for the new home:
• TV / Internet service
• Contact utility companies
• Trash pickup
• Newspaper subscriptions
• New furniture, appliances, bedding
• Cleaning arrangements for new/old home
• Any improvements that you wish to make prior to moving in, such as:
• Send change of address form to the post office, DMV and all other creditors.
• Plan what goes in the car
• Keep a record and receipts of your moving expenses for income tax purposes. This includes transportation, lodging, meal, etc.
One-day prior to move:
• Defrost and clean your refrigerator
• Clean your oven and stove
• Pack family personal items and clothing
• Close out bank accounts
• Charge Cellular phone
• Make sure you have payment for the movers. Most will NOT unpack without payment.
• Get a good night's sleep
The day of the move:
• Strip bedding from the beds, leaving mattress covers on.
• Put linens/pillows in dresser drawers to have handy for your first night in the new home.
• Load the car with items that you are taking with you.
• Show movers around. Make sure your possessions to be moved are inventoried with them.
• Check the mover's inventory to be sure that you agree with the mover's judgment on the condition of your household goods. Take photographs if there is a dispute. Make sure you keep a copy of the inventory
• Check all rooms one last time BEFORE the van leaves. Don't forget closets, cupboards, the basement and garage.
• Turn off hot water heater and set the thermostat to 55
• Record the van driver's name and give them contact numbers for the destination. Confirm directions to the new address.
• Secure house. Make sure all windows and doors are locked.
• Keep all keys, warranties, garage door openers and house information in a folder to take to the closing.
• Notify the security company that you have vacated the property.
• Get to your new home BEFORE the movers, there could be a waiting charge if you're late.
• You, or a family member, should meet the moving van to direct the placement of the boxes and furniture.
• Check condition of furniture and account for all items shipped. Notify the mover right then if anything is missing or damaged.